Saturday 26 March 2011

It's Not Retro, It's Right Now

Clever old me predicted the 50’s come-back way before Madmen decided to send the interiors world into a pea green and ochre frenzy, but even I didn’t realize what an impact  it was going to have – everyone’s at it
                                                                                                        

Heal (www.heals.co.uk) have just re-launched their Lucienne Day designs on pretty much everything they can squeeze it on to from china and cushions to condiment sets and canvasses (evidently if it starts with a C then it’s in with more of a chance)
                                                       
TwentyTwentyOne (www.twentytwentyone.com) have always specialized in this kind of look, but I’m imagining their order books are swelling right now.



Likewise Original BTC, with their stunning range of lighting.
                                                    


But is there a connection between National economics and Retro Style?
(That came out a bit Carrie Bradshaw)

Possibly there is.

During these times of empty coffers, the New Retro style is an exercise in restraint and economy of line, and we’re collectively after the same thing: style on a shoe string; it almost sums up the 50’s when our National Economy was stunted as we paid off our astronomical war debt.

Maybe we revert to a more frugal design when there isn’t so much cash.
It’s an interesting thought.

Anyway, whatever the reason, go get some Retro in your life: it’s big, it’s back and it’s here to stay (well, until the economy is sorted out in any case).

1 comment:

  1. I live in Louisiana and a local spanish languages channel Vme show your program in spanish language is call "Enamorate de tu Espacio"(Love the place you are) and really I love it! I am taking some tips for my future home. I live now rent but my husband and I planning buya house coming soon. And is amazin see your program because now I think more options to decorate my future home. Congratulation for your TV program!
    My website and blog are
    www.nellynazario.weebly.com
    www.artpaintingshiddentales.blogspot.com
    www.nazarioartpainting.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete